Friday, December 07, 2007

Power, Thunderstorms, Surges & Protection

We all know we should...protect ourselves from incoming power surges and lightning strikes...but how many of us do? I don't have surge protection on my appliances....I know I should but it's a hassle for me to pull the appliances out, get to the plugs, insert a surge protector and set it all back in place. If I ever get a friendly and generous "handy man" around, maybe then.

But in the meantime I have taken two steps to help. First is protection for my laptop....I bought a small battery backup (UPS) for it and it protects against surges and sags, something that will age the laptop boards quickly. So when the laptop is plugged in and running or even just charging the battery, it's got a fairly even power source feeding to it.

But thanks to 1) lots of education from the forums and my books and 2) another RVer who was swapping out a 30 amp Surge Guard to a 50 amp Surge Guard, I do protect my rig when parked and plugged into shore power.

If you've ever wondered if these things are worth it (I got mine at half price since it was used once or twice), here are some photos to help you make up your mind. First, here are the catalog photos for the portable unit I have (there are others that can be hard wired and probably other brands as well).




Now here is one that DID it's job...took a lightning hit and saved the RV from what could have been a catastrophic event. I saw this sitting behind the counter while here at Camping World in New Braunfels and asked if I could take a picture of it. Mike, the gentleman in the first photo, was more than willing to help.


click to see larger image





Makes you think.....what is a couple of hundred dollars for that kind of protection? Priceless...

Till next time - keep on rollin',
Froggi/Donna